Friday, May 4, 2018

JUST OPEN THE DOOR!!! Wow! Another Book Review!

Wow, I had the amazing opportunity to read Just Open the Door by Jen Schmidt. First, I have never read any of her blogs or other writings. But I will be looking them up! I am so glad I had a chance to read Just Open the Door. Hospitality is something I have struggled with over the years! I wish I had had this book fifteen years ago, but find that it's also very practical even now!

Yes, Just Open the Door is a book on hospitality. But also so much more! In it Jen shares some practical ways to honor Christ through hospitality.  She puts practicality to that hospitality. Jen shares the we are (as my football loving son puts it thanks to Carson Wentz) preparing for an "audience of ONE". That ONE being Jesus. When you get your home ready to host guests all that matters is that audience of One. All the rest will come together.

I love that Jen shares the realness (hide the clutter in a plastic bin - maybe two if needed, and don't let the adults upstairs!) Oh I can so relate!

Jen also writes of having a "get to" attitude instead of "have to".  I love this. I have to do laundry. No, I get to do laundry. I have to make brownies for the school festival. (Yes, this just happened!) No, I get to! As we have friends who have recently lost loved ones we are quick to have our focus shifted to the joy of serving others, BUT then so easily it's shifted again to that have to attitude.

Jen shares, "Life-giving hospitality is never about us. It's a journey to surrender control, to preset our seemingly insignificant offering to Him. It's about stewarding the one thing before us well, becoming an unlikely messenger for the gospel and pointing it all back to Him."

She also writes, "Becoming a woman of significance doesn't start with a microphone or stage or even a blog following. It doesn't depend on special talents or a larger-than-life personality. It begins by simple saying, 'Yes, Lord, I'm willing to be just one simple person. Here's my one door, my one table, my one sofa. Use them."

I love that this book is written for all stages of life. It gives practical advice for young mommas (who sometimes are hot messes, oh I have been there!) as well as those who are hosting (or trying to host) teens in their home.  It even shares advice from her mother and other family members that has been modeled through that generations. As well as experiences her children have modeled!

And I can't forget to mention that Jen writes about how to do this with a tiny space or a large space, a small budget and my favorite thrift shops and yard sales!

May Jesus use the simple around us to bring others to Him. In Just Open the Door, Jen shares a practical way to do just that!

I have been given a complimentary copy of Just Open the Door for my honest review. I am thankful for the chance to read this book! I highly recommend!



No comments:

Post a Comment