Thursday, May 24, 2018

~Attic Organizing~

Many years ago when we moved into our house, I read a book by Emilie Barnes. In it Emilie shares a crazy but very creative and organize way to organize your attic! I have used this method and have found it extremely effective. Sadly, I do not know which book it came from. I do know I heard her speak once and it actually may have been at the event that I heard of this method.

I would caution that using this method when you are not moving, or trying to re-organize an existing attic might be a bit challenging. However if you are moving somewhere new, just starting out or have just a few things in your attic this would be very effective. I must tell you I am a keeper. I am a saver. I love to keep things for sentimental reasons! Therefore I must keep all of these things organized!

The method is simple. Grab some storage containers. Start by numbering them. Now in the book (or when she spoke) Emilie says to use the number 25 for Christmas items, the number 31 for Halloween items, etc. I did not do this. I just started with number one and went.

I took the first tub. I filled it up with items. Put a number one all around the bin (top, all sides). Put it in the attic. Then the key is this.... I started typing a list on my computer. Number one on the list tells exactly what is in bin number one. Number two on the list tells exactly what is in bin number two. And so on and so forth!

Of course I am way too embarrassed to admit how many bins I have. I put all of the bins in numerical order in my attic.

When it’s time to go up and get something I just look at the printed out list. If I am looking for my summer shorts, I know they are in bin number 25. I simply go up to the attic, locate bin number 25 and there they are. Then I take the bin down, empty it, and put winter clothing in that bin. I then must make sure and mark on the list that bin 25 contains my winter clothing. Back up to the attic it goes. 

This system has worked out well AS LONG AS BOXES ARE MARKED ON THE LIST AND BOXES RETURNED TO THE CORRECT SPOT!!!

I have also seen this method using notecards (instead of a list) to mark each box. Simply mark what is on each card that corresponds to the box. Keep the cards in a box!
Actual Box from my attic! Box 12. I've done this for so long I had to remark my boxes!


Boxes 24 & 25. Notice the dust on the box! These are real folks! Just keeping it simple and real!

No comments:

Post a Comment