Monday, October 15, 2018

Gay Girl, Good God ~ Book Review

I recently had the chance to read and review Gay Girl, Good God by Jackie Hill Perry.  First, I understand this can be a super controversial topic today.  At least, that's how the book may appear. Surprisingly, the book was not what I expected. What did I expect? Well, Jackie probably describes it best via the term "Heterosexual Gospel"
I really appreciated Jackie's perspective and insight throughout this book.

Really it comes down to one concept. We are ALL sinners in need of Jesus.

Period. End of sentence.

Jackie offers great insight and wisdom through her personal experience in Gay Girl Good God.

Watch out church because Jackie tells it like it is. "In an effort to be kept by some other means, many saints have found themselves on a path paved by self-righteousness and good works and not the gospel." (pg. 103)

Jackie also shares how society today has twisted God's original intent for womanhood.  It is not the 1950's image, the liberated image, but rather what the Bible teaches. Which is so much more than all that. And some much more profound!

Reflecting on the the call Jesus has for each of us: "If it were all as easy as I'd want it to be I would've been happy, but I doubt I would've been whole" (page 137). Really this is our flesh battling with what Jesus calls us to be - holy and set apart. It's not easy friends, and Jackie brings that point home.

Jackie also shares, "Do you know why we have a hard time believing that a gay girl can become completely different creature? Because we have a hard time believing God." (page 145)

Jackie also writes, "The root of all sit is unbelief in God."  (pg. 160). As I said, this book is really the gospel, just told based on Jackie's story!

 Jackie shares, "God isn't calling gay people to be straight" (page. 177).

I appreciate that fact that Jackie is honest with the church. She lays it out there in a Biblical way. You might not agree with what she has to say (it is based on the Bible), but know that Jackie says, "the reason to turn from sin has always been so we can turn toward Jesus" (page 190)

Jackie's insight and experience are invaluable to the church today. It is relevant. I was given a free copy of Gay Girl, Good God for my honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment