Saturday, March 21, 2020

Made to Move Mountains by Kristen Welch

When I am asked to write a review, I am always asked to be honest. Sometimes reviews are just hard to write.  Bottom line: Did I enjoy this book? Yes and No.  Perhaps it was because I was reading this book at the height of COVID19.  Perhaps it's just the book. I'm not sure.

I had read Kristen Welch's blog a LONG time ago, before she was as influential as she is now. Perhaps it was simply a different time.  This was the first book I had read of hers.

In Made to Move Mountains, Kristen shares some of what is on her current blog, the story of Mercy House (her organization to free pregnant women from slavery), fair trade and helping immigrants.  She also dabbles in what she has shared in the past concerning her marriage, and some of her family life.  Kristen does share that this book was a hard book to write, and I don't expect her to share all of her secrets, but when as author writes that she is going to through trials, but cannot explain more, I relate it to telling someone, I have a secret but I'm not telling you.  In that case, don't even bring it up.

The focus of Made to Move Mountains is just that. The mountains in Kristen's life and how God has and will move them.  Or she will climb them. Perhaps the most impactful writing for me, was when Kristen shared sending her daughter off to college and the affect that had on her, and the wisdom and insight that Kristen gained as a mother through that experience.

I'm not sure I've read a book before that quotes more authors than this book. There was even an author quoted within another author quote. Kristen goes from quoting Tim Keller to John Piper to Joel Osteen.  (All within a few pages!)

Bottom line: Would I recommend this book? Yes and No. I would encourage you to read this for yourself and decide about Made to Move Mountains. Was there thought provoking material? Yes. Did it offer hope? Sometimes. Some of Made to Move Mountains was more focused on Kristen's mountains than moving them.

I would  encourage you to read the book for yourself and decide. I was given a free copy from the publisher for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment