Wednesday, July 25, 2018

7 Day Pickles!

This year, for the first time in a LONG time, I decided to make 7 day pickles.

For all your mommas out there, please know that for MANY years this just was not do-able! And quite frankly, after all the time and energy it really is cheaper to buy them in the store! BUT, my daughter loves growing pickles and I had this recipe from about 25 years ago, so I decided to make them!

I'm proud to say that canning methods came back to me after all those years! But, before I get too proud, please know that first batch I made of these should have been called 8-day pickles and the second batch should have been called 6-day pickles! (OPPS!)

7 lbs. pickles washed
8 cups sugar
4 cups cider vinegar
2 TBS pickling spice
2 tsp. salt (I don't usually add salt in any recipe)

Wash pickles. Put in a clean crock or bucket (something that can withstand boiling water). Boil water and pour over pickles. Do this on Day 1. Then empty water and boil new water for Day 2, Day 3 and Day 4. On Day 5 slice pickles. Make a syrup of 4 cups vinegar, 8 cups sugar, 2 TBS pickling spice, and 2 tsp. salt.  Bring to a boil. Pour over pickle slices. For Day 6 drain the sugar mixture and boil the sugar mixture. Pour over pickle slices.

Day 7: Boil entire contents - pickles and sugar mixture together.

In the meantime - make your mason jars hot. I put mine in a 300 degree (or 250 degree) oven.  Boil your lids (not rings) for your mason jars and put you canner filled with hot water on the stove (enough to cover the jars) to boil.

When everything is ready, take a hot jar, fill with pickles and syrup (check the rim of the jar first for cracks - run your finger over it. If it's smooth you are good to go.).  Take a spatula and put it down the side to get air bubbles out.  Wipe rim clean. Place a hot lid on the jar. Fill up 6 jars (that's how many you can probably put in your canner).

Put bands on the jars.  Process in boiling water in canner for 10 minutes. Once you take the jars out you may hear a popping noise. Make sure all lids stay down (If you push the middle they should not spring up).  Remove bands.  Store to enjoy another day!
Boiling syrup and cucumbers

Processing in the canner

Sealed and ready to enjoy later!


1 comment:

  1. Yum! My grandma makes these and they are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete