Thursday, December 14, 2017

PA Dutch Chicken Corn Soup

I live in Pennsylvania Dutch Country. We love to eat! We love to cook!

I remember having my grandmother show me how to make chicken corn soup while she was still alive. I took precious notes of all she told me. How to buy a whole chicken. How to cook the whole chicken. How to spend hours in the kitchen making chicken corn soup. It was a special time.

But then I was single. And had some time to spend hours to cook a whole chicken.

Fast forward and five kids later.....no time to spend all day in the kitchen.

I love my crockpot!! I mean love it! I use it often!!!

So....one day I decided to make chicken corn soup in the crock pot. What do you know? It worked!!!

Here's a "souper"easy recipe!!

The night before:
Throw your chicken in the crockpot on low.  Sorry, but here in PA Dutch country we often don't measure!  So use your best guess. I would say about 1 lb. of boneless, skinless chicken breast.  Add a about 1-1 1/2 cups water.  Cook on low all night.

The next morning: Cut up chicken into small bite size pieces (or even smaller).  Keep broth.  Discard or skim off any fat. Return chicken to crock pot. Add in about 6-8 cups corn. (Like I said, we don't measure! I usually just do what looks about right!).  Add in 1-2 cups chicken broth. (I use chicken bullion mixed with water).  Add in about 1 TBS parsley flakes.  Stir. Cook on low all day.

Note: I do not usually add salt, but allow the person eating to add their own. However, you may want to add salt.

Important: Do not cook on high or you may burn your corn! Do not cook all night. It will be too long for the corn to cook and the one time I did this my corn burned.

Best served with grilled cheese sandwiches OR hamburgers! Or just plain!

I love to make a big batch and freeze the leftovers!!!

Easy recap of recipe:

Chicken Corn Soup
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
6-8 cups corn
water
1-2 cups chicken broth (or chicken bullion mixed with water)
1 TBS parsley flakes
salt to taste

Cook chicken and 1- 1/2 cups water in crock pot on low all night. Remove chicken from crock pot. Cut into smaller pieces. Leave broth in crock pot. Skim off fat. Return chicken to crock pot. Add in corn, parsley flakes and broth. Cook on low for about 6 hours. Freezes well.


No comments:

Post a Comment