Monday, March 12, 2018

Laundry Rooms...Sigh!

Laundry.

Not my favorite subject. Because let's face it. They haven't invented a laundry folder yet (other than children). Nor a laundry-putter-awayer (other than children).

I do not enjoy doing laundry. The only time I enjoy it is when I can watch a good show or movie while folding tons of it. Lately that just seems like a waste of time.

I wish I could say I have tamed the laundry monster. But, nope. Not in this house! We still have TONS!

Someday....and then I'll miss it!

But until then, I've had to make my laundry room a workable space.  The problem is the house was built in ~1819. Before laundry was done indoors. Before indoor plumbing. Before bathrooms. Before laundry rooms! Thus the problem. There is NO laundry room.

In fact, the laundry was probably done in the creek!!!

So, when we redid our house there was a laundry hook up. In the basement.

Not a problem. I grew up with laundry in the basement. Wayyyy back in the back bottom of the house.

The problem is when you see all the OTHER houses with BEAUTIFUL new, lovely laundry rooms.

You know the ones, with granite counters, cupboards, beautiful shelves. That don't have any laundry on them. Nope, not one stitch!!! Best of all is when the creator shares their idea and says they got 50 boxes to organize stuff in. At $5.99 for each box. Hello! I cannot afford that!

My laundry room is not like that!

In fact, my laundry room is in the SAME room as the heating system. And a bunch of duct work!  There is no nice cabinet and no counter top. There IS a utility sink! And some shelves my husband put up!  And a very old desk from the Hamilton Watch Company!  Well, not that old. It's metal!

So how did I make peace with my laundry room? I decided it wasn't going to change, there wasn't any way to make it new and updated.  So I might as well do with it what I could. And that's what I did! I always try to use what I have.

First up was to figure out how to sort laundry for seven people! That's at least six baskets folks! (I can put my husband's and mine together!).  How do you even have enough floor space for six baskets?

Well, after lots of searching, I found an idea. I got a baker's rack (I found this one cheap, but would suggest looking at an auction for a restaurant supply place. We have a local place that liquidates restaurant equipment.) Then I got laundry baskets at Ikea. I needed to use these because of the size. I had to have two fit on one shelf.

Once laundry is FINALLY folded it goes into these baskets. Children are responsible to put their laundry away.
Yes, that's my sad lost sock bin up top! Poor socks!

My husband made this Amish style drying rack a long time ago. We use it to hang up stuff that can't go in the dryer.

I also have a second drying rack. I know you are jealous of all my duct work!


These are my shelves. And please take note of the bright light bulb. No fancy lighting here. This is the room that is the "utility room". It originally had only a DIRT floor. So I am thankful we put concrete in. I did find this beach type mat at Lowe's a few years back. I realized I needed something to make the dreary room a little cheery.  The baskets on the dryer are for my husband's pants and delicate items.  I make sure these are sorted so no one accidentally puts them in on regular! Some day I will show my method for sorting laundry.

But for now, I will be PROUD of my ~1819 laundry room. I won't compare to the ones that are glorious, but be thankful for the way I was able to organize this one! As my daughter says, "We love living in this house!"




No comments:

Post a Comment